MCEC is currently accepting applications for the following position(s):
Groundman / Apprentice Lineman
To provide efficient service in construction, operation, replacement, removal and maintenance work on overhead and underground electrical distribution lines and substations. Typical responsibilities under the supervision of a Journeyman Lineman include:
- Performs all the necessary activities in the construction and maintenance of energized and de-energized overhead and underground distribution lines.
- Patrols the line, checks for defective materials, equipment or unsafe conditions and notifies a supervisor of problem areas.
- Inspects work after completion to ensure that is has been done in accordance with applicable specifications and codes.
- Understands considerable hazards that exist, including falls, electric shock, electric flash, automobile traffic and falling objects. Understands and utilizes safety and protective equipment.
- Performs, as needed, all the duties of groundman, equipment operator and lineman as education level progresses.
- Sees that trucks, tools and assigned equipment are properly used and kept in good working order.
- Learns and complies with all safety policies, rules and regulations.
- Locates and determines sources of power outages.
- Performs after hours on-call duties as scheduled and/or needed.
- Trims trees, clears right-of-way and operates equipment as needed.
*The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards. Apprentice Lineman will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties assigned by MCEC supervisory staff.
- Complete Apprentice Lineman Training program in a timely manner.
- Must maintain a valid Class A CDL with an acceptable driving record.
- Must possess manual dexterity and visual accuracy, as well as the ability to constantly listen and communicate with others.
- Must be able: to stand and walk; to frequently sit, bend, stoop and squat; to lift and carry 75 pounds; to push and/or pull; to reach above shoulder level and twist; to occasionally climb, balance, kneel and crouch.
- Ability to exert, in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or, in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently.
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken words, to convey details or instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
- Ability to receive and understand detailed communications.
- Worker will be subject to temperatures below 32 degrees and above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour.
- Worker is substantially subject to hazards while working with or near electrical current.
- Will work scheduled and unscheduled overtime in all weather conditions.
- Must live within 30-Mile radius of office unless pre-approved by management.
- Will work at heights up to 50’ for extended times.
- As a condition of acceptance on this job, candidates who are otherwise qualified will be required to take and pass a drug screening.